Marcus–A True Friend

News and Current Events

Moderators: Administrator, tammy rigsby

Administrator

Marcus–A True Friend

Post by Administrator » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Helping A Loved One

Hi, I’m Marcus. I want to tell you about my friend Carl who was in so deep I didn't think he had a chance to get a normal life back.

Carl and I had known each other for about 10 years. We met through mutual friends and hit it off and soon became good friends.

One day while I was helping him move a piece of furniture out of his garage, I noticed a bag that had a lottery tickets sticking out. I went to look closer and was surprised to see that the bag was full of lottery tickets that were already scratched off. There had to be thousands of dollars worth of tickets. I jokingly asked him what these were and he got red in the face and tried to blow it off as nothing.

We went inside after moving the furniture and grabbed a couple of drinks and sat down and he got real serious and started to tell me how he was addicted to gambling and was in so deep he thought he was going to lose his house. Needless to say I was stunned to hear what he was telling me. He told me that he was buying two or three hundred dollars worth of tickets a day and was also selling some of his possessions so he could get money to gamble with. He also said he had thoughts of suicide recently and was so depressed he had a hard time getting out of bed sometimes in the morning.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I knew people who had problems with drugs and alcohol but not gambling. My mind raced as I tried to digest everything he was saying. I couldn't believe I didn't see any signs of this before. I told him I would help him in any way I could and he started to break down. He said it was a relief that someone else finally knew about his addiction and was ready to get help.

I went online and found the Florida Council on Compulsive Gambling and called them. I spoke to a very nice lady who provided me with resources to give to Carl. She also suggested that Carl call as well so he could be set up with a counselor through their Recovery Path program which provides free counseling with a certified gambling addiction professional.

Carl called and was set up with private counseling and began to attend support groups. I attended the meetings with him and learned a lot of things I could do to help him. One of the first things I did was to oversee his finances. We got him on a debt management program and within a year, his finances were back in order.

Carl thanks me almost everyday for being there for him but that’s what friends are for…

Call 888-ADMIT-IT today!!!